Westmoreland Fair Queen Contest Information
The Westmoreland Fair Queen is an ambassador for the fair. She represents not only the Westmoreland Fair but also agriculture in Westmoreland County.
Who is eligible to take part in the Fair Queen Contest? ALL requirements MUST BE met in order to participate:
- Application Deadline is August 1, 2016
- Must be a female, at least 16 years of age, but not over 20, by June 1, of the year entering the contest.
- They must be a U.S. Citizen and a resident of Westmoreland County in the State of Pennsylvania.
- They must have completed previous 2 years of competitive experience at the Westmoreland Fair PLUS be competing in the current Westmoreland Fair.
- They must be a CURRENT MEMBER of or affiliated with the organization they are representing.
- Only one entrant per 4-H, FFA Club or organized agricultural organization
- They must NOT hold any other state title for any other commodity group or pageant
- They must not have been a former Fair Queen winner at another fair, nor a former State Fair Queen contestant
- Must have parental or guardian consent
- Must be single, never married, have not been pregnant nor given birth to a child and must not marry, nor get pregnant during her reign
- Must act in accordance with the PA Fair Queen “Behavior Policy”
- Must be able to meet all time commitments of the contest, Queens obligations and Dress Code as set forth by the PA State Fair Queen Program
- The week the fair opens they must be available Monday evening for judge interview, Tuesday evening for practice and the opening Friday evening of the fair for the queen contest
What to do if a girl meets all the above eligibility requirements?
- Contact the fair secretary, at the fair office (at 724-423-5005 extension 100) and request a Queen application.
- Complete and return all pages of the queen application to the fair secretary by no later than August 1 of the current year. If application is not post marked or delivered to the fair office by August 1st it will not be accepted. Also, if the application is not complete and missing information is not received at the fair office by August 1st it will not be accepted.
- A speech (1 minute long) on “Why You Should Come to My Fair” – This speech is to be given the night of the pageant. Speech must be memorized
- Additional items to include with application are as follows:
- Answers to the 6 questions on the application
- An essay (300 words or less) on “What My Fair Means to my Community.”
- A letter of recommendation from the leader or officer of the organization that is sponsoring the girl
- A commentary (150 words, double spaced) to be used for the Fair Queen Pageant
DO NOT include any additional items with the application, the fair office staff and queen contest superintendents are not responsible for any additional items sent with application that was not requested and the judges will NOT be shown anything additional than the application.
What are the contestants scored on?
The contestants are scored on the following:
Essay – 20 Points
- Composition & Content
- Grammar & Spelling
Personal Interview – 45 Points
- Conversational Ability
- Quality of Answers
- Knowledge of Fair & Agriculture
- Appearance & Conduct
Contest Night – 35 Points
- Appearance & Stage Presence
- Public Speaking, Speech Content & Format
The scores will be tallied up and the contestants with the top 4 scores will then compete for the title of Fair Queen by answering an impromptu question. Their answer to the question will be scored and that is the only score that will be used to determine the position on the court – Fair Queen, Fair Princess, 1st Runner Up, and 2nd Runner Up.
In the event of a tie for any placement the original scores will be taken into consideration to break the tie. All decisions of the judges are FINAL.
For additional information or questions, please contact the fair secretary, at the fair office Monday through Friday at 724-423-5005 extension 100.